Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: WinXP SP2 comments (was: Internet explorer 6 execution of arbitrary code)

From: Nils Ketelsen <nils () druecke strg-alt-entf org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 07:40:00 -0400

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 01:11:37AM -0400, Poof wrote:

Well, the "Security Center" will only detect your firewall/antivirus if the
program tells Windows that it's protecting your computer. (New API Microsoft
did... Many companies are using it now.)

Ohh, then I can just write a program doing nothing but telling windows it
protects it to make this warning go away? Cool. There will be many of these
out there when SP2 goes around. Maybe at $5 or so. Snakeoil at its best.
And even proves protection by making the windows warning go away.

Nils
--
Well... It all started with a typo in a safe sex pamphlet. By the time
I discovered I didn't really have to use a condor every time, I'd kind

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html