Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MS Anti Virus?

From: "Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss () netpublishing com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:03:28 -0700

Dan et al:

You are missing the point here. While it matters little *who* is in the A/V
market, it matters very much when one player is Microsoft, because the M$
business model (according to them and to the US DOJ) is to enter a market,
undercut the market, co-opt the market, drive out the competition, and
move on to the next market (not unlike a virus, as told by Agent Smith).
So if M$ enters the A/V market and "bundles" their solution with Windows
whatever, they likely will drive Symantec and McAfee out of the market
over time by co-opting the A/V subscription market.

The security ramifications of a M$ only A/V marketplace relate to Dan Geer's
monoculture argument (already well discussed here) and also a conflict of
interest (since M$ products account for a majority of the A/V infections).
Can we "trust" an A/V solution from M$ that addresses virus infections of
M$ products? And is M$ controls both the virus host and the A/V inoculation,
does that not create a potential area of abuse - no license/upgrade/whatever,
no A/V subscription/update/whatever?

As Reagan told Gorbachev, "Let me tell you why we do not trust you..."