Full Disclosure mailing list archives

CDs from the Libraries that Mysteriously "Won't Play" on some equipment

From: Steve Kudlak <chromazine () sbcglobal net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 05:37:08 -0700

Apparently the CDs in the "Spanish Level One" course won't play on
some CD players. The "GPX" brand which is a cheapie widely sold
(Long's etc.) has some kind of system to reject what it thinks are CD-Rs
probably because someone convinced the manufacturer that only
"stolen music" and other illegitimate stuff is found on CD-Rs and any
other non-massproduced CDs.

Alas, lots of legitimate publishers of language material burn their own
CDs because it is cheap and easy to do. With Spanish it might not be
a problem but I could imagine if one had Quiche the only choice might
be burning your own CDs unless you have lotsa bucks.

In addition to language publishers, there are artists, musicians , zinestes
and other independent publishers who legitimately burn their own CDs
who shouldn't  be penalized. (I'll stop my grandstanding now.;) IF ANYONE
KNOWS A RELIABLE WORKAROUND PLEASE PUBLISH IT.

Thanks and Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. Note I bcc'd a lot of people on this. I am always unsure of whehter to
use cc or bcc, but since this a high volume vist and I frequently hit <reply all>;)
maybe bcc is best.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html