Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: anyone seen this worm/trojan before?

From: insecure <insecure () ameritech net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:27:03 -0500

Perrymon, Josh L. wrote:

I found this worm/ trojan on a laptop. Ran FPort and found the .exe.
Doesn't look like it propagates to other machines but rather communicates
with a compromised web companies server using IRC. The compromised server has removed the IRC
service. Only sends RST packets back.

I put it on my site.

http://www.packetfocus.com/analysis.htm

I would like to know the attack vectors. I'm guessing LSASS.

Joshua Perrymon
PGP Fingerprint
51B8 01AC E58B 9BFE D57D  8EF6 C0B2 DECF EC20 6021

McAfee VirusScan 7.1 with 4364 DAT detects it as W32/Sdbot.worm.gen.g. Other than that, they have no information besides that they first noticed it on 5/26/2004.

It may spread through lsass, but this type of worm is usually limited to spreading through network shares with weak password protection.

Jerry

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html