Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PIX vs CheckPoint

From: Matt Ostiguy <ostiguy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:12:40 -0400

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:57:42 -0700 (PDT), Gary E. Miller <gem () rellim com> wrote:

I agree, except for one small problem.  Don't you still have to delete
ALL the filter rules, and reenter them ALL to change the order of the
rules? last I checked there was no "insert before", "insert at top" sort
of options.  Just "insert at end".  This and other features can really
slow down the otherwise decent CLI.

PIX OS 6.2 (IIRC) introduced a feature for line editing:

access list ostiguy line 15... should enter this line as line 15 in the acl.
no access list ostiguy line 12 should delete line 12 of the acl.

Another bad thing about the PIX CLI is that is looks a lot like the IOS CLI,
but has lots of subtle differences that will byte you when you least expect
it.

RGDS
GARY

I can't think of an instance where this is a bad thing, as generally,
the pix is more forgiving than IOS, as all the show commands work in a
PIXen's configuration mode.

ostiguy

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html