Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Poorly configured AV scanners

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:55:08 -0600

We apparently have some folks on this list who still think it makes sense to send virus warnings to the sender, even though the sender is forged.

Here's the ones that I've gotten so far, for a "text.pif" file that I supposedly sent to the list (which is impossible for me to do, BTW.)

Domain                        AV Gateway Software

icentrum.co.uk                Symantec Mail Security
bell24.co.jp                  McAfee Gateway Scanner
calfingroup.com               NAV for Microsoft Exchange
thermobio.com                 F-Secure AV Administrator
planettechnologies.nl         ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange
s21mail.com                   CxProtect
buckslib.org                  NAV for Microsoft Exchange
princecomp.com                NAV for Microsoft Exchange
njneuromed.org                not defined

Please ask your mail admins to turn off notifications.  They are worthless.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member