Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Backdoor not recognized by Kaspersky

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:37:49 -0500

I feel the need to address the problem from an ISP perspective, since the corporate
and government and other institutional persective seems to give different answers. And
because the ISP end user problem is still the majority of the reservoir for viruses (and
spam proxy/relay/trojans).

I really feel for you guys. As I've argued in another thread, I think SMTP
authentication will likely cut this stuff down to a trickle compared to the current
volume. As an ISP, how big a problem would you have with that. An even better question:
Would you have a problem implementing SPF, Caller ID and Domain Keys (i.e. all 3)? It
gets to the same issue of changing practices for your users: at some point you have to
either bounce or segregate mail that doesn't authenticate.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html