Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Vendor casual towards vulnerability found in product

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:48:02 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps.  What is the real risk of destroying
configuration files, if backups are being made?
They restore from backup, someone erases them again,
they restore, someone erases again, they restore...

Right, I understand that.  However, as a consultant,
I've seen places where incremental backups were made
several times a day, b/c users had a habit of moving
folders off of the server, and then deleting the
folder when they were done w/ the files in it.  Rather
than "train" the users, the admins took all of the
work on themselves.

I would like to say that yes, I am none too happy
with the way the vendor has reacted to this. And I
shall explain why. I am responsible for few of the
production sites exposed and vulnerable to this flaw
since they run this product. And there is nothing I
can do to fix them since the flaw is core to the
product.

I thought you mentioned something about a module or
something in your first post...something the vendor
knew about but never bothered to document...

If this is known to anyone outside of the
vendors team, my servers are roadkill. And this
thought doesnt really give me a warm feeling inside.

Well, besides the ability to wreak havok, someone has
to actually do something.  For your servers to be
roadkill, someone has to actually launch a properly
formatted attack.

I know what you're thinking at this point..."if I
could figure it out, then surely a malicious
person/blackhat could have figured it out already,
too".  Well...maybe.  But who knows?  There's a great
deal of speculation about that sort of thing happening
with all sorts of vulnerabilities, but no actual
evidence to support it.

Thanks all for your comments, I think I know what to
do now.

Ok...good luck.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html