Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Learn from history?

From: "Serge van Ginderachter (svgn)" <svgn () orbid be>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 19:09:26 +0200

I work in SME environments. Those guys don't have the resource and money,
nor the knowledge to begin to understand.
It's also about practical stuff.

1. Keep informed.

Sure. I'll inform all my 300 customers MS release a bug today, and I'll drop
by to all of them to patch tomorrow.

2. Install patches as soon as possible

That would involve runnning Windows Automated Update every night
automagically...

2. If a patch cannot be installed, find workarounds

That does not work with the workarounds customer need to facilitate life
(security <> easy of use, remember)

3. If it is a port-related threat, find out if such ports are
in use, and if
not, make sure they are closed. (Of course there would

Once the virus is on the LAN it can do whatever it wants.

Some of the comments overheard this week regarding Sasser:

I got a nice one today, when trying to explain why opening OWA directly is
not a nice idea:
"I have a natting router which acts like a firewall and I have anti-virus
software, so what's the problem?"
I did propose some firewall, but they feel it's too much EUREUREUREUR

Will they learn from history? Only history will tell.

I'm pretty sure they won't. Even most tech guys don't have a clue.

        Serge

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html