Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Learn from history?

From: <full-disclosure () nym hush com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 05:38:47 -0700

There is also SUS which a lot of people have started to and are
deploying as we speak.

Exactly.

Work arounds donmt have a place in any sort of open user environment
they take too much time to deploy and impose to many problems on the
end user and also need to be undone after the problem is fixed. Way

way way to much work there.

You're generalizing here.  And compared to what?  Rebuilding all client/servers
because zeros were written to random sectors on disk?

What is all this rubbish about. Roughly 15% of all assests attached

to a networks around the world are unaccounted for!! So how are you

meant to protect yourself against them. Example - firewall blocking

all ports, some one comes in with a laptop thats infected and bobs

your uncle you left scratching your head wondering why your firewall

didnt work.

If wormX propogates using port Y, block any traffic with source/destination
port Y.  It doesn't solve the problem, it slows the spreading. If you
get infected, we don't need to you spread it further.  Block the shit
from going outbound.  I don't know where you got 15% (especially if they're
"unaccounted for"), but it doesn't matter because that's a policy issue,
 not a firewall one.

---
I'm done with this.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.