Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Sasser author

From: "Nils Ketelsen" <nils.ketelsen () kuehne-nagel com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:54:56 -0400

As soon as your virus changes the content of any part of the system's
memory, be it the RAM or any other medium you have already manipulated
data and are guilty of the corresponding crime. It's as easy
as that. In

No it is not as easy as that. When I look at some random webpage, the
webserver has to load data into his ram and will then deliver it to me. Thus
I changed data in RAM. If this ever becomes a crime internet will become
quite boring.

With this email distributed to a lot of mailboxes, I changed data on many
mailservers, that have to store it. Sending email is not illegal according
to german law, though.

This is idiotic.

Yes.

Because there is no simple logic behind this, we have judges. They have to
aplly common sense to the law. And common sense always is a point for
discussion.

The real world is not digital. It is not as easy as "if (MEMORY_modified)
{jail($years)};"

Intentions play a role here. So does the ability to judge your own actions.
And (last but not least) how easy it was made for you to commit a crome is
often affecting the time you have to spend in jail or the amount of cash
your crome costs you.

Nils

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html