Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: IE is just as safe as FireFox

From: "Stuart Fox \(DSL AK\)" <StuartF () datacom co nz>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:13:04 +1300

Unfortunatly, ms group policy do not handle mac, solaris, linux, ...
only ms toys can be configured using this. I also think it is somewhat
new and will probably be old (why don't you use this miracle ms tool
named: sorry, this falls under some nda) in a year or so.

It's not somewhat new - it's four years old, and the technology in use was in use in NT 4 systems.  It's the standard
method of configuring Windows clients that are members of an Active Directory - and will probably continue to be so.  A
year or so won't even see the release of Longhorn, so it certainly won't be "old".

This mail doesn't mean firefox/mozilla is the greatest tool of the
world. It lacks (or my knowledge is too limited) good ldap support (I
tryed keeping my netscape config on my ldap directory, mozilla do not
seems  to have this feature).

So that's the answer to my question there: No.

Other browsers&mail readers are using a
dedicated central config server (I forgot the  name) in order to make
them more corporate aware.

People underestimate the importance of the browser being "corporate aware" - being able to centrally control and
configure the browser is important.