Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why is IRC still around?

From: Danny <nocmonkey () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:52:46 -0500

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:47:36 -0600, Bowes, Ronald (EST)
<rbowes () gov mb ca> wrote:
How exactly do you propose to accomplish this?  IRC is an open protocol and
there are many open clients and open servers which can run on any port, and
run encrypted with SSL.

So do you intend to scan every computer on the Internet on port 6667, and
shut down every server found running, the move on to random ports that
zombies probably use, and start attacking sites that provide open source
clients that use an open protocol?

Your suggestion makes no sense, and it's something that's impossible to
implement.  Why not just make knives illegal?  I mean, they're frequently
used as a weapon, right?

Yah, you are right. I just needed to rant when I see all these
trojan's written to call home (to an IRC channel) and DoS attacks
coordinated via IRC to control unpatched anti-virus-less Windows PC
zombies.

...D

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html