Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google Desktop Search

From: Ivan Krstic <krstic () fas harvard edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:14:52 -0400

DogoBrazil wrote:
The research came
with a bit more than I expected 'cause the engine went to some webmail based accounts: Yahoo and MSN. I could click in the results and opened my Yahoo Mail inbox page without a password. Maybe some password lost in my HD? Maybe some page cached?

http://desktop.google.com/index.html enumerates the file types that Google Desktop Search currently indexes. Your IE cache and Outlook correspondence will also get indexed, so you could have been looking at either a page from your browser cache, or a page you manually saved to your hard drive. The program itself most certainly does not include functionality to index remote, web-based mailboxes such as Yahoo and MSN.

Ivan

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html