Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Virus loading through ActiveX-Exploit

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:21:53 +1200

Feher Tamas wrote:

... server.exe
file is
TrojanSpy.Win32.Small.AZ (AVP)

Perhaps at the the time or shortly before you posted this close to 12
hours after the OP wrote his message, but when he wrote AVP/KAV did not
detect it at all.  In fact, it was the only one of what I consider the
"major" scanners to not detect the .EXE when, almost exactly two hours
after the OP wrote his message, I had the file scanned by 20-odd
scanners that (mostly) run up-to-the-minute (well, hour)
research/beta/pre-release DEF/DAT/etc files...

Oh, and as for the name -- the unique names reported in that multi-
scanner test were:

   TR/Small.AZ.1
   W32/Chty.A@bd
   Uploader-S
   TrojanSpy.Win32.Small.AZ
   Backdoor.Trojan           [this one is a heuristic detection]
   Troj/Bizex-E
   Win32.Reign.Z

There was one more generic/heuristic detection but I'm not sure I can
publicly discuss it, and as it has a rather distinctive reporting style
for this type of thing, I've removed that entry from the list...

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.