Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: open telnet port

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:03:03 -0400

Raj Mathur wrote:

Remove low-bandwidth from the list of requirements, since ssh can
compress traffic on the fly and reduce bandwidth consumption
significantly.

I would not remove low-bandwidth from the list. Compressing the connection requires further CPU consumption, and if the requirement is both low bandwidth and low CPU consumption, then you obviously can't offload more on the CPU, right?

Note: I also said that we're talking about a situation where sniffing isn't an issue. These are few and far between, but they do exist. In this case, any added CPU/bandwidth/whatever loss is simply waste.

         -Barry

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html