Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: How to Report a Security Vulnerability to Microsoft

From: Dan Becker <geggam () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:14:45 -0500

On Apr 11, 2005 1:56 AM, tuytumadre () att net <tuytumadre () att net> wrote:

Mr. Guninski, although I am a huge fan of your work, I could not disagree
more. I am sending this email from Redmond where I was invited by Microsoft
to a small conference about security (it was mostly about what they go
through when stuff is reported). "M$", as you call it, is not trying to get
your 0days. They simply want to protect customers, and, although a large
part about it is profits, the concern is mostly (as far as I know) about the
users. Microsoft's biggest fear is wide-spread virus epidemics, so when a
critical vulnerability is fully disclosed without prior notice to MSRC,
Microsoft goes into an emergency state and everyone gets off of vacation
early to come in and help resolve the issue (as was the case with my
auto-sp2rc release in December, also called "Paul's Christmas" by MSRC
employees). Microsoft knows that security researchers hang out on lists like
fd a bugtraq, so what better place to eliminate t he common improper
disclosing ignorance than to provide clear, concise instructions directly on
the security hotspots?

Regards,

Paul

Dumb question... since this is openly admitted as for profit you are
posting this... what are you paying for exploits ?

We all know others pay for them.