Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Phun With Apache

From: Graham Reed <greed () pobox com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:43:13 -0400

On Apr 1, 2005, at 4:19 AM, duper () willhackforfood biz wrote:
## Apache follows symbolic links referenced by public_html!
## Even when SymLinksifOwnerMatch is set and FollowSymLinks is not!
## A super-easy way to gain read access on files owned by the apache user!

It's not (only) a mod_userdir problem.

I found the problem is fully reproducible on the intranet server I run--but it does not use mod_userdir. It gets its work done with AliasMatch directives.

I currently believe the culprit is the <Directory> and <DirectoryMatch> directives are allowing symbolic links, without following the ifOwnerMatch part of the directive.

--
"Dead people don't send spam."