Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: svchost.exe try to send http outside

From: Simon Richter <Simon.Richter () hogyros de>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:48:57 +0200

Hi,

howard.lee () guoco com wrote:

The svchost.exe will stop to run when I stop the automatic update.

But I'm sure the IP tried to connect by the svchost is NOT MS related site.

218.213.255.29
80.15.249.167

I believe this to be automatic update. The second IP address is listed
for Akamai, which Microsoft uses as a hoster for their update sites. The
first one belongs to an ISP, and it is not unusual for Akamai to have
small numbers of machines as mirrors on ISP networks. You should perhaps
inquire with HKnet, who owns the IP block, whether the IP in question is
a server operated by Akamai.

   Simon