Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The Wireless Networking Excuse

From: womber <womber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:33:06 -0500

On 8/29/05, yahoo123456 () hushmail com <yahoo123456 () hushmail com> wrote:
Has anyone examined the idea of using a public hotspot on a local
network to shield BSA, RIAA, MPAA lawsuits? Since the tracking
stops at the public facing IP, who is to say it wasn't some
freeloader downloading the warez?

Just looking for some feedback on this one...

It is an interesting point. I have thought about it myself in the
context of having my personal access point open to the public and if
someone hopped on and downloaded something.
Would I be resposible if they tracked it back to my AP?
I am not a legal expert by any means but I would think it would be
comparable to someone using my phone to make a harasing call.
Although I am not sure how that would be ruled either.