Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Most common keystroke loggers?

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:53:22 -0600

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 10:48 -0800, Blue Boar wrote:
You can make the authentication step as secure as you like (and granted,
that's what the thread is about, and what the OTP asked for) but don't
forget that the 0wner of your machine still has the option to take over
your transaction(s) post-authentication.

That's why I emphasized that the use of tokens should not only be made
for initial authentication, but also for *each transaction*. Any
transaction can be hashed with a one-time code generated by a token and
sent as a control with the transaction parameters. Any MITM interception
and modification will invalidate that hash thus voiding the transaction.

These things have been available since the mid-nineties, but are either
still not applied, or improperly applied. There are a lot of cases where
tokens are used for authentication, but only there, not preventing MITM
attacks. (why should they, it's protected with SSL, right ;)

So, yeah, we need to stress the fact that transactions need to be
secured, not just initial auth.

Cheers!
Frank

--