Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Spy Agency Mined Vast Data Trove

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:43:23 -0800

Dean Pierce wrote:
Does the fourth amendment really guarantee us the right to pass any
information through any medium, and assume that it is still considered
private?

Yes, subject to a) A proper search warrant and b) The commercial
agreements between the provider of the medium and the user of the medium.

The problem is that privacy and freedom (I believe) are mutually
exclusive.  If we are granted total privacy in our communications
systems, then that must, by definition, infringe on the freedoms of
whoever owns the mediums.

Those rights are a matter of negotiation between the provider of the
medium and the sender of the traffic over the medium. Caveat emptor, and
all that.

The argument goes back even farther to the
ideas of intellectual property.  Does your data transmission really
belong to you?  If someone copies it, do all the copies still belong to you?

Depends on how good your encryption is, and what the governing contracts
are.

The way I see it, there are two things, stuff, and ideas.  I believe
that the fourth amendment protects all of my stuff, but not my ideas.
In fact, I believe that the first amendment ensures my right to
duplicate and retransmit ideas.

Ideas are nothing unless they have physical expression - they are not
things. You can think all you want, but until you express your ideas in
some fashion (speech or more concrete action) your ideas are null.

If I send data to my local router, then whoever owns that router now has
total access to my data.  Expecting anything else is just naive.  If I
encrypt the data with my friends public key, however, the person who
owns that router only has access to an encrypted block of data, which is
largely (but still finitely) safe.

I feel that any given three letter agency has the right to record
whatever they see come in through their lines, even if transmission to
them was not intentional.

As do I. So what? As I said above, it depends on how good your
encryption is.

Notice that we also have the right to listen
to open conversations, and to sniff on open networks, and even keep
databases of what we learn, so why should we deny a government agency
the same right?

Because they have more guns than we do, and tend to use them badly and
without just cause - perhaps "Consent of the governed" rings a bell?