Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: IT security professionals in demand in 2006

From: "wilder_jeff Wilder" <wilder_jeff () msn com>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:55:02 -0700

Not to validate the cissp... but try to get a good security job with out it. I do not have to know how to forge the steel, machine the metal, build an engine in order to drive a car. I understand the the inner workings of an application how how it interacts with the differnent layes...

There are the eliete individuals... the top 5-10% that can actually write their own exploit code, but in the industrial industy where we are not creating our own applications, what good is it?

I'm not going to say if the cissp was good or bad.. but I ca tell you, after all the studies and time in prep, I understand the business side of security. If you dont understand that side of it.. you can hack all you want from a dark room in the basement, but your never going to be able to make a bigger impact in the industry as a whole. Its money that makes the world move.

I cannot say that my skill at preventing a hack was any better after the cissp then before it... but because of the certification, it placed me into a position where I can learn far more then sitting in my dungeon at home.

-Jeff Wilder
CISSP,CCE,C/EH