Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Symlink attack techniques

From: Werner Schalk <werner_schalk () gmx de>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:42:18 +0000

Hi,

I am currently doing a pentest and I was wondering whether you guys would know
any symlink attack technique for the following scenario:

On a Unix system there is a cronjob set up which will use the find command to
create some sort of report and output that report to a predictable file
in /tmp. So basically the command in the crontab is something like:

15 4  * * 6     root    /usr/bin/find [command] > /tmp/report.txt

Due to the fact that I can't influence what is written to that file but
link /tmp/report to a different file (e.g. /etc/passwd) I can cause some
local disruption/problems I think. So my question now is: Is there any other
way of executing code in this scenario? Can I use file descriptors with this?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

All the best,
Werner.