Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Software firewalls for Windows

From: Paul Stephens <paul () onestepsolutions net>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:50:19 +1100

Is there something wrong with Zone Alarm? ;-)

Also, it was just announced today by Sunbelt Software that they
are picking up Kerio.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Press.cfm?id=134

- ferg

Hi Fergie, I quite like the fact that Kerrio is light on sys resources as not
all my clients have grunty machines.  However, even though I'm no l33t haXor
(more a mere script kiddie with canned pen testing tools) I've been able to
defeat it.  As far as Zone Alarm is concerned: it is more demanding on sys
resources and not as configurable as Sygate Pro, or as informative as to
potential malicious action.

I've only just started testing Outpost (on a 32bit machine) and
Ghostwall (on a
64bit machine) but so far I'm quite impressed.  However, the collective
experience of this list is far greater than I could achieve in a lifetime so I
guess I'm asking what others have found to be the most difficult to breach and
featuresome.

Regards

Paul Stephens
(Proprietor - OneStep Solutions)