Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Multiple AV Vendors ignoring tar.gz archives

From: Jorrit Kronjee <full-disclosure () nospam wafel org>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:38:48 +0100

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 01:19:00AM +0000, James Eaton-Lee wrote:

although bz2 is released under
a BSD license, gzip isn't - it's GPL, and therefore any antivirus vendor
would have to write their gzip code totally from scratch.

I really was not going to get into the fool fight, but sometimes I really
get amazed by what people that don't understand an inch about the topic
can say.

In case you missed, the gzip algorithim is also avaliable on zlib, which
is released under the BSD license.

Please take your time and do your homework next time.

http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

PS: If someone already pointed this to this mo... missinformed(sic?) list member, please disregard my post.

Actually, that's not a BSD license, but the so-called zlib license, which differs on a few points.

http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib_license.html

I did my homework, but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Jorrit
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html