Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New Internet Explorer Beta

From: Xavier Beaudouin <kiwi () oav net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:20:06 +0100

Le 16 févr. 05, à 05:19, William Lefkovics a écrit :

"The growth in usage of Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser is driven by
factors that are not inherently sustainable."
"Gartner has warned firms considering migrating to Firefox, an open-source
browser from Mozilla, to think carefully."
"Additionally, now that Firefox and other non-Microsoft browsers are denting
IE's popularity, the bad guys are targetting them."
 - Gartner Group

I'm absolutely delighted that the decision to tie IE releases to Windows has
been reversed.
http://news.com.com/IE+update+to+debut+ahead+of+plans/2100-1032_3 -5577263.ht
ml

And Firefox is no panacea. It is just another browser with a different set
of issues.  A good backup browser, really.

No browser is the best, any has flaws and problems, but the good thing of firefox, is that there is lots of plugins that works, it is cross platform browser (eg you make one application that work on firefox unix, then is _will_ works on windows, os X, whatever...).

Also adblock XPI extension work like a charm, pages go faster and you don't waste bandwith with
stupid ads animated gifs that stop you to work correctly.

Now the only one browser that is secured is telnet <host> 80 but it is really not usuable...

We have to live with security holes or software limitation because everything in the life is like this : car, food, etc... internet software industry (even opensource one) is young and internet usage is fast, so if we have fast fixup and bug solved fast then this is ok...

Now problem is legacy software users that still use some old browser (I know some, and I really think that 80% of end users are like this) that have system totaly owned by trojan
and whatever.

Software company has to think about this lazy users and make something working... Even if they have a 33.6k modem connection to upgrade.... (an XP SP2 by modem is brain damaged and really
utopic).

This users are really dangerous for us, and dangerous for them (numerous users had problem with justice because they didn't upgrade their system. their system was used for prohibited
file exchange)....

/Xavier

--
Xavier Beaudouin - Unix System Administrator & Projects Leader.
President of Kazar Organization : http://www.kazar.net/

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html