Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Xfree86 video buffering?

From: "KF (lists)" <kf_lists () digitalmunition com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:08:36 -0500

Recently I have noticed that after shutting down my machine or rebooting my X-windows will briefly flash an image of whatever I was doing when I rebooted the machine or logged out.

As an example if I was browsing porn at night in mozilla just before I clicked "K->Logout...->Reboot Computer" in KDE, the next morning when my Girlfriend turns my computer on she gets a quick 2 second shot of my porn just before the KDM login screen.

What causes this? Can it be prevented? I can certainly see sensitive data potentially being leaked via this quirk.
-KF

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html