Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Pattern matching search tool

From: Alain Fauconnet <alain () ait ac th>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:55:43 +0700

Paul,

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 03:28:24PM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
Is anyone aware of a search tool (not Google or search engine aggregation
software) that could be used to search our network for "interesting stuff"?
It needs to be capable of doing pattern matching similar to perl's regular
expression stuff.

I'm looking for something that, for example, could tell me all the machines
on our network that are running copies of phpBB (obvious reasons) so that
we could quickly identify potential problem areas.

What about running  'ngrep'  (http://ngrep.sourceforge.net/)  on  your
firewall or gateway, any box that can see most of the traffic, or even
on the servers themselves?

Greets,
_Alain_
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.