Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Multiple Backdoors found in eEye Products (IRIS and Secure

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:29:54 -0500

Well, for all who read this (and care) I tested a moderately old version of SecureIIS I have installed on some VM, and I didn't see any calls to CreateProcess anywhere in any of the eEye DLL's. Nor did I see any suspicious getprocaddr's/loadlibrarya's that would indicate a backdoor.

For those who might try this little game, eEye's secureIIS is basically a http_filter module that loads into Inetinfo which takes requests and passes them off to a ncalrpc service (the event bus, as they'd call it). It's going to get the request about 3 times during the course of events.

Of course, this sort of thing is basically impossible to disprove - especially without source.

-dave

Lance Gusto wrote:

Hey Dave,

I cannot disclosed much information (based on request/threats made by certain organizations
whom may be involved) I am sure you can understand.

But we have tested Iris versions 3.0 and up ... As I previously stated it doesn't appear to
exist in the 2.x series of Iris.

I am not the main tester involved here, but I was told that there is some sort of clandestine chaining mechanism to create the processes I believe. I will provide the "lists" I have sent this too with more information as soon as some of the other testers involved come back from their
respective holiday breaks.