Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Scan for IRC

From: Kevin <kkadow () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:41:02 -0600

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:34:00 -0600, RandallM <randallm () fidmail com> wrote:
I am so sorry for interrupting the list. I'm trying to pick up IRC
communications on the network. I've made some filters for Ethereal and
Observer but can't seem to pick it up. I'm doing something wrong. Used the
6668-6669 ports. Any help?

Not only can an IRC server be on any port (as mentioned by Oliver
Leitner), but clients can also tunnel the connection through proxies,
or even fully encrypt chat sessions inside SSL, within an SSH tunnel,
or in a binary packet protocol such as SILC.

Assuming the communication is in the clear, you could use Snort to
detect IRC communication, regardless of port.  More on this topic can
be found here:
    http://www.giac.org/practical/GSEC/Chris_Hanna_GSEC.pdf

Kevin

(P.S. I don't know who Chris Hanna is, but the paper seems sound.)
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html