Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Transamericana.org

From: Antonio Henrique Oliveira <tat () postmark net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:03:38 +0100

Hello list,

Remember a few months ago an email about my XP workstation pinging www.transamericana.org on login? I finally got around to clean this one up. I uninstalled almost all the applications, and then proceeded to clean up the Windows registry, and finally found what the problem was. For some reason (maybe a bluethoot device that had once been installed on the computer, which was installed and removed on the same day - it was just a test for somebody I knew) had created a key on HKCU\Software\Microsoft\RAS AutoDial for that host (and a few others). When Windows was going through the login process it would ping those hosts (although, for some reason [being Windows? :)] not all of them all the time) to check if they could be reached.
Deleting those keys solved the problem.

Just to let all of you know what happened. This might not be news to some of you, but it could be usefull to somebody else who finds a similar problem.

Why this didn't came up when I first went through the registry puzzles me. Maybe didn't dig well enough :)

Thanks to all.

Regards,
--
Anto'nio Henrique A. Proenca de Oliveira
"Although we can never go back, like an old sweet song with a strong refrain, memories remain" - (Someone)

$Id: .signature,v 1.3 2004/07/14 08:08:10 tat Exp tat $