Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: <Cisco Message> Mike Lynn's controversialCiscoSecurity Presentation

From: "Geo." <geoincidents () nls net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:47:56 -0400

From what I understand (I am writing a major paper on Intellectual
Property
Protection right now, the Joy of being a student) the creator of the data
has the direct right under Title 17 and the DMCA to determine how the data
will be used (hence expiring CDR's and DRM).

This is incorrect as far as title 17 goes, copyright only gives control over
making copies and public performance, there must be a contract for any
additional restrictions. See http://www.theyscrewedusagain.com if you want
some good info for your paper. I would suggest you take a look specifically
at the quote from the 1908 congress that extended copyright law to cover
music as well, pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.theyscrewedusagain.com/copyrightact1909.htm

Geo.