Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Web application Security Scanner

From: "tgoogle" <tgoogle () yandex ru>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:45:27 +0400 (MSD)

Ok
I define concretely my task.

I wish to find quickly potential holes (XSS, SQL injection and e.t.c.) in the any Web sites, for example www.yandex.ru.
I do not know, what OS or database using on server.

Many program can find only known CGI bugs or need some interactive with database or environment.

I do not actually think that any of the tools listed below are what you are
looking for.

* Nikto is a web vulnerability scanner that can identify KNOWN
vulnerabilities, as well as some variations on them. It is unable to
understand application logic or identify any custom security
vulnerabilities.
* Nessus is much like Nikto - only it's not limited to web.
* Absinthe is the only tool that can help with custom application
vulnerabilities, but it's not really an automated scanner such as the one
you are looking, but rather an assisting the exploitation of SQL Injection.
It still requires a certain level of expertese to succesfully operate.

I think what you are looking at is rather one of the commercial tools, such
as SPI Dynamics WebInspect, Watchfire's AppScan or KaVaDo's ScanDo.

Ofer Maor
CTO
Hacktics (http://www.hacktics.com/)