Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Security of phpBB

From: Moritz Naumann <info () moritz-naumann com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:52:22 +0200

Tom Edwards wrote:
I am new to this list and to security in general so please excuse my
question. A friend told me that our forum software phpBB is not very
secure and told me about this. Where can I get information on that? What
must I do to make it secure?

Hi Tom,

many people are concerned about known and unknown security issues
related to phpBB. There have been a lot of security issues with it in
the past, have a look at
  http://www.phpbb.com/security/final_reports.php
(or search the FD archives) for some of the latest.

The assumption many people make is that if so many vulnerabilities are
constantly discovered on this software, it can be assumed that there
still are many left and this application must thus be considered
insecure in general.

While I'm not saying this is a correct conclusion (and I'm also not
saying it was not), much less security issues have been discovered on
other wide-spread bulletin board softwares in the same time (which might
also be related to other factors such as their licensing terms and
pricing which make a comparison difficult, though).

Hope this helps a bit,
Moritz