Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PlatinumFTP 1.0.18 remote DoS

From: ports <ml () portsonline net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:09:25 +0100

Gary H. Jones II wrote:
That software uses an FTP server ActiveX control made by Mabry Software.
Any ftp server that uses this activex control is vulnerable.

The ActiveX control is the cause of these bugs, not the PlatinumFTP software
itself, when I took a look at the software, I noticed it was written in VB5,
finding a format string in a program written in VB would be a *very* rare
find, so I figured there would be a 3rd party control within the app that
was written in C++.

I ran it through a debugger, passed a few %s's and watched it crash. The
title of the error message is "Mabry Socket Window:
PlatinumFTPserverEngine.exe - Application Error", this is what lead to the
discovery of the real issue.

I downloaded the latest sample/demo of this ActiveX, and it is still
vulnerable when you run VBSampleOCX.exe.
Available here http://www.mabry.com/ftpserv/index.htm.

Thanks for this useful informations! :) At least it was nice to make the 'PlatinumFTP 1.0.18 remote DoS' posting, although it's getting more and more useless ;)

ports