Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: DMCA letters (testing method)

From: "Lauro, John" <jlauro () umflint edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:59:26 -0500

Not to defend the RIAA, but remember that with peer-2-peer filesharing
you don't have to connect to the machine you want to download the
files from.  You are both connected to a database, and the database
can instruct the person with the file what machine to send it to.
Otherwise no one behind a NAT would be able to "share" their files...

So, you have to not only look at connection attempts to the IP
mentioned, but also connection attempts *FROM* the IP mentioned.
Peer-2-peer is not limitted to pulling, but can also push.