Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: This crap needs to stop

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:52:49 -0600

--On Monday, November 28, 2005 18:33:13 -0500 Eliah Kagan <degeneracypressure () gmail com> wrote:

Todd is right.

It is important to differentiate between maliciousness and a really
embarrassing error. Sony *wrote* a rootkit for the purpose of cracking
into their customers' systems to force their customers to act in a way
more profitable to Sony, and to spy on their customers. It was not a
mistake.

Well, that's not what I said, but doesn't a company have a responsibility to virus-check any software they ship *before* they ship it? It's not like this is something so new that a normal check wouldn't have found it.

And isn't the *effect* on the end user the same? Yes, the motivation was perhaps different, but how does that matter to the customer whose computer is now trojaned? Does "we didn't mean to do it" excuse them?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member