Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google Talk cleartext credentials in process memory

From: pagvac <unknown.pentester () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:22:00 +0000

Personally I only tested the "patched" version by searching for the
ASCII (decimal) representation of my own password.

In other words, I searched for "mypassword" with a hex editor, rather
than its hexadecimal representation "6d7970617373776f7264"

If what you're saying is that all Google did is change the
cleartext password to its hexadecimal representation then you might be
completely right as I haven't tested this myself.

Anyways, if that's the case, then shame on Google for such a poor
attempt of obfuscation.