Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Websites vulnerabilities disclosure

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:43:21 -0400

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:38:34 +0530, Raghu Chinthoju said:
I say, "... hey listen! your house entrance door latch isn't strong
enough.. there are only 4 screws instead 16, which is the practice..
you have a risk of some one easily barging into your house ...". For
some reason you don't respond.. I publish it in the local news paper
that ".. Mr. X's door latch is week and any one can break it easily
..." Do you think it is ethical??? I seriously think not.

The ethics change somewhat if instead of Mr. X, it's a branch of a bank with
many customers, or one of those "You-Store-It" storage facilities, or if it's a
medical research lab that works with dangerous pathogens, or anyplace else
where it's more than just Mr. X's goods or well-being that's endangered....