Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SEC-Consult SA 20051025-0 :: Snoopy Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

From: "SEC Consult Research" <research () sec-consult com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:14:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, October 27, 2005 10:12 am, Florian Weimer said:
Have you considered in your analysis that malicious servers might
return HTTP redirects which contain suitable URLs?  This requires that
the offsiteok member is set to true, though, because in the version I
looked at, only http:// URLs are considered site-local.

Yes, I can confirm this. While I have not thought of this possibility, it
seems to boost the risk coming from the vulnerability.

I found the flaw during a review of Wordpress which uses MagpieRSS which
in turn uses Snoopy. As MagpieRSS is widly used, the concequence is that
any RSS feed-provider can replace the feed with a small redirect script,
exploiting the flaw with a crafted redirect https URL. Doing this with a
highly frequented RSS feed might result in many many servers being
simultaniously compromized. I might add that the offsiteok member defaults
to true and MagpieRSS does not seem to change that default value.

A notice to MagpieRSS has already been sent.

Daniel

SEC Consult Unternehmensberatung GmbH

Office Vienna
Blindengasse 3