Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Full-disclosure Digest, Vol 7, Issue 25

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:48:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Gary E. Miller wrote:

Yo Eric!

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, fd () ew nsci us wrote:

What if I am otherhost?  Is there a facility for something like
[root@otherhost]# cat /dev/tcp/me/listen/5000 > yesterhost-hda.img

I just spent some time with "man bash" and the bash source code and do
not see how to do that.  I am sure they would take a patch.

Maybe someone else has a bright idea on how to accept a tcp/udp
connection with just bash, or some other universally installed
unix binary.  A lot of systems do not have nc by default.

I beieve this can be done with the real version of korn shell, not the
lightened version that is named pksh though for nost linux dists.  But in
a discusion with a fellow admin here at work a few weeks ago it was shown
that the real korn shell can play tcp and udp very sweetly and simply in
scripts.  I have not the working example at hand here to demo for folks,
but, if needed can get it.  I'm sure the man page and or the o'reilly's
manula documents this.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
"Sometimes you get the blues because your baby leaves you. Sometimes you get'em
'cause she comes back." --B.B. King

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.