Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Shell accounts

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:42:27 -0400

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:26:24 BST, Ian stuart Turnbull said:

Suppose I had a friend who had a Linux connected to the internet and I got
him to set me up a username. As long as his machine didn't do any logging
[and he pretended not to know of anyone using this account] would I - using
sssh to connect] be traceable.

The real question at that point is - "If the cops come banging on your friend's
door and wave warrants and subpoenas and cattle prods in his face, how quickly
will he fold?"

Either he caves or he doesn't.  If he caves, you're not anonymous anymore. If he
doesn't, you're a moral sleezeball for making him take the heat when he's the sort
of friend that would take the heat for you.