Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft DNS resolver: deliberately sabotagedhosts-file lookup

From: "Dave Korn" <davek_throwaway () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:59:21 +0100

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
On Apr 13, 2006, at 1:29 , Dave Korn wrote:

  Hey, guess what I just found out:  Microsoft have deliberately
sabotaged
their DNS client's hosts table lookup functionality.

I thought this was part of avoiding malware attempts to block Windows
Update.

  Perhaps so; do you have a reference?  I found

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836941

which was last reviewed seven days ago, and contains advice about how to
"Remove entries for Windows Update and Microsoft Update from the hosts
file", and no slightest hint of any suggestion that these entries could not
possibly make any difference even if they tried.

    cheers,
      DaveK