Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: kiddie porn warning [was: Fwd: Re: montspace -- child porn (site still up)]

From: Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:52:58 -0400

(a) When a provider of electronic communications services or remote computing services to the public ("provider") obtains knowledge of facts or circumstances concerning an apparent violation of Federal child pornography statutes designated by 42 U.S.C. 13032(b)(1), it shall, as soon as reasonably possible, report all such facts or circumstances to the "Cyber Tipline" at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children Web site (http://www.CyberTipline.com), which contains a reporting form for use by providers.

Interestingly enough, this form does a "500 Server Error" when you try to use Firefox on Linux. Missing and exploited children can only be reported using IE on Windows, I guess :(

I realize that "no good deed goes unpunished" .. but it's hard to maintain a "head in the sand" approach when it comes to such reprehensible things.

Not only do we have to fear retribution from perpetrator of a crime, we also have to worry about being victimized by the authorities for doing the "right thing".

Sigh....

/mike.