Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Proxy Detection

From: Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:42:48 +0200

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 03:31:31PM -0500, Justin Terry wrote:
Hello List!

I am a long time reader,  first time poster, and everything like that.

I use a proxy service that runs in my system tray, (the onion router, and
privoxy, in conjunction) and when i use this software, everything works great.
When i go to www.whatismyipaddress.com however, it tells me that a
proxy server is detected.

How is it possible for them to detect that i am using a proxy?

(also, sometimes it can detect that i am using a proxy, and other times it can
not, although i use the same software all the time.)

One other option would be to have a list of IP addresses of proxies
handy, and perform a simple lookup.

                Joachim