Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: RE: when will AV vendors fix this???

From: "Thomas D." <whistl0r () googlemail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 22:45:10 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Dude VanWinkle
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 8:49 PM
So I might be able hide something, but I can't do anything.

Well, there would be an access denied message for most AV scanners
when it hit the file in question and couldnt even get a read.

As I said before:

1.) An attacker has to transfer a bad file.
Every One-Access Scanner should detected the threat, if it is known (if it
is unknown, it is a zero-day attack...)

2.) If you have transfered the file (as I said before: This isn't easy...),
you can only hide the file, because, If you run it, it will be detected.

If it won't be detected, it is an unknown file, so it is a zero-day
attack...

And even if you hide the file, if it hide the way you describe, you aren't
able to execute the file, until you give access to yourself. If you do this,
the anti-virus program will also have access....

Keep in mind: If it is an unknown file (zero-day), you don't even think
about hiding, because it isn't necessary. You have other problems...

=> I don't think it is a security related problem nor a problem itself.