Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: George Bush appoints a 9 year old to be the chairperson of the Information Security Deportment

From: Denis Jedig <seclists () syneticon de>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:13:56 +0200

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:45:09 +1200 Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Denis Jedig wrote:

Are there any documented cases on "serious" (i.e. not for scientific
research or fun, but profit) desinformation or propaganda campaigns using
XSS for their purposes? Some weird US pre-election stuff maybe?

You think the spammers and phishers that use Google's, Yahoo's, MSN's,
etc, etc open reidrecters to obfuscate their target URLs are _not_
doing it for profit?  You think their objective in using URLs
encompassing those open redirectors is _not_ disinformation?

Maybe I should rephrase: I was mainly interested in cases similar to the
demonstrated one where "news" were spread to the general public to
influence the behavior of "the masses" rather than mere individuals.
Phishing is a really regrettable phenomenon, but I suspect that it will
appear just annoying compared to what targetted mass-disinformation[1] is
able to do.

[1] a measure currently only available to the respective gouvernment, the
three-letter-agencies and media moguls.
--
Denis Jedig
syneticon networks GbR             http://syneticon.net/service/