Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft Vista's IPv6: Dangerous Information Leak?

From: "TJ" <trejrco () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:19:50 -0400

Assuming you are not default-denying almost all traffic (and perhaps
proxying most other?) . Yes, all you need to do is block the server traffic
(UDP/3544) ... without which Teredo clients won't establish their tunnel,
and the relays never come into play.  Hopefully, as more firewalls/IDS's
become more IPv6 savvy they will learn to crack open all of the "transition
mechanism" tunnels - Prot41, UDP-encaps, etc . sooner would be better than
later.

Also, to (hopefully) answer another of Hadmut's original questions - "Am I
correct or did I overlook anything" . the only thing I would add is that
Vista is intended to "just make IPv6 work" for the unmanaged environment,
which it looks to do a decent job of . for better or worse!

To change the topic just a bit - TSP (a la Hexago/Tunnel Broker) can also
traverse NAT via UDP-encapsulation and while it (IIRC) uses UDP/3653 by
default since the TSP client needs to be manually installed anyway someone
could certainly tweak the port# L.

Thanks; and I'd love to hear more on IPv6-related topics/advancements
(offlist if not FD-relevant) . especially any distributed FW/IDS
implementations!

/TJ

PS - The availability of Teredo servers/relays is limited, for now . and the
host needs to be explicitly told the addresses of the server(s), IIRC.