Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Certifications

From: "Kerry Thompson" <kez-fulld () crypt gen nz>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:52:43 +1300 (NZDT)

Andrew Smith said:
Hey,
Might not be the best place to ask this, but I couldn't find anywhere more
relevant.
I'm considering trying to get some CISCO Certifications in the future, but
can't really afford the training.
I know a few people with certifications and they're willing to lend me
their
books and some training material they have, assuming it's possible to pass
an exam without training is it possible to simply sit the exam?
I'm in the UK here, and I can't seem to find anywhere that I can just sit
exams, all include training for $2,000+

Could anyone reccomend any sites or facilities?

Yes, you can certainly do a self-study course and pass the CCNA - I did
this last September. But there's a few things to be careful of :

 - check the Cisco web site for CCNA information, because there's two
different ways to do the exams - you can either do the two INTRO & ICND
exams, or the all-in-one CCNA exam. There's also lots of other useful
stuff in their training centre.

 - a good book is recommended, but make sure books you get are for the
640-801 exam. Older ones, which may be somewhat useful, will have stuff
in them that you don't need to know, and miss stuff which you do need to
know.

 - you really need to have hands-on experience with Cisco routers, and
possibly switches as well, either by getting some second-hand gear, or
some good simulator software.

 - book the exam at www.prometric.com when you're ready

I've put up more tips at http://www.crypt.gen.nz/papers/ccna2.html which
may be useful.